Thursday 27 November 2014

Digital window shopper

Posted by: Shannon Nicolson

I'm glued to my iPhone. I'm one of the 55% who sleeps with it. I also wake up to it...which is likely the only time I'm not fond of its buzzing, glowing screen. I haven't picked up a newspaper or walked into a bank in years. But I don't shop online. I'm tactile. I need to see and feel my potential purchases and like compare it to others before making the commitment to part with my money. In fact, my daughter knows I've made a decision when I absentmindedly shake the item.

Instead, I digital window shop - searching online for inspiration and the best deals before I hop in the car. Here are some of my top picks.

Escapes.ca

I love to travel. I love travel deals even more. There are many travel sites, most offering comparable deals, but my favourite booking destination is escapes.ca.
  • offers a wide selection of flight, hotel, individual and group package deals
  • pre-set search options based on departure or arrival city, last minute deals, or vacation style take the work out of finding the perfect vacation
  • clean, user-friendly interface
  • book online from each trip selection, can also read hotel features and reviews
Escapes best feature is the ability to book with a live agent over the phone who can offer additional insight on a particular destination or hotel at no additional charge. There's added assurance that an agent is available to help if travel plans go awry or there's an issue while outside Canada.

Escapes is a Canadian company so transactions are completed in Canadian dollars and follow Canadian rules and regulations.

Pinterest

My inspiration station.
  • easy to search broad categories, or drill down with keywords
  • can save or "pin" ideas for later
  • most pins do not link directly to the store that offer the product or can be found in Canada

Google*

If Pinterest is my inspiration, Google is my enabler.
  • connects me to retailer websites so I can search through product lines and compare prices
  • image search is another tool to match my inspiration to retailers. Thanks, Target, I'm coming to you for that vintage-look red toaster 
  • product reviews to ensure my soon-to-be toaster performs well
* I recently learned about Google Shopping.  I must check this out!


TD Bank Mobile app

I may not shop for fun stuff, but have no problem paying the credit card online.
  • can check balance, pay bills, transfer between accounts or send e-transfers to others
  • deposit cheques by photo
  • simple, user-friendly interface 
  • options are limited to the most common banking transactions. Users must go to the TD website for more functions or information

Netflix Canada

TV and movies on the go? Okay!
  • subscribe once and forget it
  • automatic monthly credit card payments
  • apps for smartphones, tablets, and gaming consoles
  • scroll through interest-based catalogues or search by name
  • lacks new content, especially compared to the US version
Health warning: may cause binge-watching addiction and severe withdrawals while waiting for the next season to arrive. Yes, I'm talking about you, Frank Underwood!

As much as I resist online shopping in the traditional sense, the digital experience creeps into so many areas of our lives that we may not even realize we're doing it. These five sites have made my life easier, I hope you find them helpful too.

No comments:

Post a Comment