Tuesday 2 December 2014

Assignment B: Mobile Strategy and Psychology


On the day that I monitored my mobile content use, I started my day by checking the weather on my phone. During the day I checked my texts and emails a few times. I also used the camera for the selfie assignment in class. For professional use, I checked my employer’s Facebook page once and my work email twice as I was away from the office.


In the evening at home I found myself grabbing my phone about every 30 minutes, but only for a specific purpose. I was busy, so for entertainment I only browsed Facebook after I was done all my chores. I ended up briefly using utility apps such as Evernote and flashlight, and tools on my phone such as the alarm clock and the calendar.

As usual, I mostly used my phone in the evening on the couch while the TV was on. The most enjoyable use was checking Facebook and seeing photos and updates from friends and family, as it keeps me connected to them no matter where they live. About 90% of the content was for personal use. As the infographic at the end of this blog post states, the majority of people use a mobile device while watching TV. 

The day I monitored my use is a fairly accurate reflection of my mobile content usage, although I typically use my phone a bit more for entertainment.  I use my work cell phone only when I am not in the office during the day.  About 95% of my mobile use is for personal purposes. I believe this article and the infographic describes my mobile usage very well: https://hbr.org/2013/01/how-people-really-use-mobile

I don’t think I use my cell phone too much. Seeing this video about year ago prompted me to become more conscious of my mobile use, and as mentioned, I try use my phone with a specific purpose in mind and for a limited time.  I have turned off all notifications. I am on my phone for longer periods of time only when I am by myself. 

With that said, I think my phone is a valuable tool and I would not want to part with it. My phone is my access to entertainment, news, information, my friends and family, and several useful tools to keep myself organized. It is also my camera and camcorder on the go. I hardly ever play games and never actually shop on my phone, although I do research and browse.

However, here is an interesting blog post on what people would give up to keep their mobile phones. This list confirms that I am not too badly addicted, as the only thing I wouldn't mind giving up is chocolate. 










1 comment:

  1. I love the "I forgot my phone" YouTube video - dead on. Nice find.

    ReplyDelete