Thursday 11 December 2014

Thoughts on online marketing campaigns - Part 2 of Assignment C

I've worked in communications for nearly eight years, and I realized when working on the final assignment that I've never designed an online marketing campaign, nor have I been asked to prepare one. I think that many people overlook the necessity of having a solid plan, which is strange since I work at a post-secondary institution. You wouldn't teach a course without having a solid plan (i.e. syllabus), would you? 

In creating this online marketing campaign I've learned many things that will be beneficial to my future marketing projects. For example, you need to examine your target audience and determine the ways that they prefer to interact with your organization--adjust your strategy to fit with your customer, and not the other way around. For this project, my target audience was females aged 30-50 who had a Master of Nursing degree. Where do they spend their time online and how do they like to receive their information? You need to suss out specific information related to your target and create campaigns that they can relate to and deliver it to them in their preferred manner. As well, timelines are incredibly important. Give yourself a deadline for a task to ensure accountability and be specific; the more specific you are the clearer your vision. Finally, examine your analytics! See what's driving people to your website/product (and often!) and don't be afraid to tweak your campaign. 

As I examine what I've learned throughout this course and in completing the final project, I think that when you're marketing in the online environment you always need to track your efforts. Whether you rely on Google Analytics, Facebook Insights, Twitter Analytics, etc. you need to be able to measure your efforts so that you can analyze the results and make adjustments to the campaign--how else will you know whether you've run a good campaign or know where it all started to fall apart!

No comments:

Post a Comment