Tuesday 2 December 2014

Mobile Strategy and Psychology - Assignment B (Gary)

Personal Profile Summary
Average Smartphone Usage
I notice my mobile usage is very similar to the average listed at the on the Average Smartphone Usage by Pew Research Center’s Internet & American life Project back in 2011.
I like to leave me phone turned off at night, so my day begins with turning my phone on first thing in the morning and check the weather in preparation for the day. And then immediately after that, I check my 3 linked emails on my phone, 2 personal and 1 work-related, to see if there are any important emails I missed overnight and remove what I consider as “junk” out of my inboxes.  I’m fairly consistent with these 2 actions in the morning to a point it almost became automatic.
As I mentioned before, I have my work email setup on my phone and I can’t help it to look at it every time my phone vibrates for attention; for I receive quite a bit of email communication with my colleagues, clients, and suppliers daily. This then take up most of my usage on my mobile device. Another major area that I use my mobile device for is entertainment. Throughout the day, I jump in and out of my phone to check on Facebook and Instagram for status updates, as well as occasionally reply to text messages as they come in. I also take a few minute here and there to check on some the games that I installed and apps that prompts me with notifications. Reading on the feeds from the Flipboard App also is one of my daily routines. That goes on for the remaining of the day until I shut it off at night around 10:00pm.



Personal Assessment:

Although I don’t keep my phone on all day long, but I do feel like that I’m extremely attached to it when my phone is within my reach; especially with the work email connected to the phone. As a rough estimate, I would say I’m on my phone at least 20 minutes of any given hour, 90% of it would be work related and the rest (10%) goes to personal activities. The demand for attention to the work email was so overwhelmed to a point that even having time-off doesn't necessary steer me away from checking the work email. Apparently, I was not the only person who experience that. The article from iPass “MobileWorkforce Survey results: Section 2: To Connect or Disconnect?” shows that people stay connected to work even during their scheduled vacation time.
Do you connect to technology when on vacation for work or personal reasons?
Just to put everything in context, my mobile usage focuses mostly on email and messaging; communication related activities makes up most of my mobile usage. I like the idea of instant connection and I don’t have to delay my respond regardless of the content. Tracking my usage in one day does give me a “full picture” and help me realise how attached I am to it. It leads me to understand how much time I spent on work related item compare to my personal usage. I also notice that I rarely use my cell phone for buying and shopping purposes.
Just for fun though, it is hard not to compare what the actual statistic on messaging, and I found this image on “Toilet Texting”. Do I do that? (…maybe!?!)

Toilet Texting
With that being said, I'm a prime target for email marketing given the fact that I'm on that function all the time. I'm open to the idea and I don't feel bombarded because I'm always very careful to them, I do clear up my email all the time, things like unsubscribe to irrelevant or poorly design emails, keep the one that capture my attention and interest - things that are tailor to my need. My experience with email marketing is actually very similar to those who got interview by BlueHornet. here is their video for "Consumer Views of Email Marketing 2013: On-the-Street Interviews".

Consumer Views of Email Marketing 2013: On-the-Street Interviews

Finally, I think I'm too prominent to notifications on my phone. Every time the phone vibrate is like a “call-to-action” for me to pick it up, both mobile notifications and received emails. I’m just glad that I turn my phone off at night just to have a break from all of these notifications. But if you ask me, are you using your mobile too much, I don’t think my answer is a definite “Yes”; maybe because I’ve already gotten use to the way I use my mobile device and the amount of time I spent on it. I have never consider turning off all the notifications because I like to stay on-top with things, and have a timely response for both work-related and personal messages. 

2 comments:

  1. Gary,

    The toilet texting infographic is interesting. Email and messaging dominate my mobile usage, too. I'm curious to read where others spend their time.

    I like the comparison between the phone vibrating and the 'call to action'. Such a great image.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gary - the part of your assignment that talks about people checking their phones for work related topics is interesting. I purposely keep two separate phones (one for work and the other for personal use) so I can physically leave it behind when away.

    And when you mentioned checking your phone almost automatically in the morning as part of your routine, I imagine you aren't the only one doing it. Good time to send out some marketing material via mobile like you suggest. Coffee companies... here is a buyer ripe for the picking!

    ReplyDelete